Verbena is poisonous. Our daughter grew sick, very quickly after eating a leaf of the verbena plant in our front yard. Luckily, she hadn't swallowed it and after removing the leaf- she was fine. There are many common plants that are poisonous. With a little one accustomed to picking and eating out of the vegetable garden- its important to know what is poisonous out there in the world.
A few things that are growing in our yard or our nearby park that are poisonous:
- Butterfly Weed
- Elephant Ears
- Morning Glory
You can avoid planting these plants in your yard if you choose- but you will likely still encounter them at playgrounds, friends homes and so forth. Education might be the best route.
For a more complete list: the poison control website: